Re: Google

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:04:03 -0700

Hello Adrian,

Curious to see the Reuter's piece, I went to the Beta accessible Google
search engine whose link has been sent around today on several of my mailing
lists, and input the exact headline in the edit box, first without quotes
and then with.  Either way, the Reuters article didn't come up on the first
page.

However, when I went to the regular Google search function and entered the
same search terms, the Reuters link came up immediately after a couple of

Interesting.  Or ironic.  Perhaps the search engine determined that the
Reuters site isn't up to W3C accessibility standards?  I read the FAQ page
on the Beta search engine site, and some of the criteria used seemed a bit
off, to me, unless the wording wasn't as accurate as it might have been.
Sites with photos or graphics, especially.  Every day, I navigate article
pages from the Times to Slate, completely unbothered and unimpeded by the
photos that download to the pages.  And if I'm feeling like cruising an
extremely clean and simplified version of such a page, I click on the Print
link and get such a page, of nothing but text.  I wonder, fittingly, how
rational and realistic some of Google's other criteria for accessibility
are.

Anyway,thanks for the heads up about the Reuters piece.  Do you really think
they'd sic their legal department on someone copying and pasting one of
their articles, which I assume are offered free of charge, into a group
email?  I kind of doubt it.  but I'm not a lawyer, and I don't even play one
on TV.  More seriously, there are stories and articles of mine floating
around all sorts of blind-related Web sites and some others, pieces
originally published in the Los Angeles Times, and with that paper retaining
the copyright, as is done these days.  A mere Google search on their part
could turn up these "reprints" anytime they wanted to find them, but, well,
I haven't yet received a warning call from my editor or the Tribune Corp.
legal staff in Chicago.  Go figure.