Re: "Ghost" Attachments Revisited

  • From: Evelyn Weckerly <weckerly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 15:59:24 -0400

Hi,

Actually, when I have gone into my Eudora attach file, I hae actually found those things there even though they don't show up at the bottom of a message.

Evelyn

At 03:28 PM 9/30/05, you wrote:
Hi,

I don't know the most concise way to explain the ghost attachment issue, but
someone else will explain, I hope.  Meantime, it may be useful to
distinguish between Jaws and other applications here, in both instances.
Jaws is only speaking what you'd see, in your Inbox.  You'd see a symbol
denoting an attachment, only to open the message, look for the attachment,
and find that there wasn't any.  Jaws isn't the agent of this
misinformation.

Also, Jaws wouldn't be changing or disrupting anything in your mailing list
deliveries in any way.  Jaws doesn't act upon other programs, in this sense.
So neither of these is a Jaws problem.

Hope that helps.   I'll make a lame stab at explaining the phantom
attachment thing.  On many emails these days, there appear right in the
message area things such as blurbs saying that the AVG antivirus program has
certified the message to be clean, and to a Jaws user or a sighted person, I
think, these messages appear right within the message area as if they were
much like our email signatures.But for some reason, some mail programs
recognize them as attachments, and either announce their presence, as in
Outlook Express, or file them in a special catch-place, as I understand
Eudora does.  But it's just a mistake, or a quirk.  Which doesn't mean you
shouldn't check to see if there's an attachment, because if there were,
you'd want to know whether it was something you actually wanted, and wanted
to open, or something suspicious you'd prefer to delete.