Fw: [Buddys-dogscoop] jaws versus window-eyes at the office

  • From: "Deb and Cori" <debsoundandscent@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 01:00:08 -0600

Deb Ver Steeg here in Sioux Falls South Dakota.
I have a technology question regarding my work. I have been employed with Citibank for 24 years and three months.
Over the years, I have made use of several technologies including, total talk, IBM screen reader, slimware, and for about eleven years, Jaws.
I am not a technical person, and have used these technologies to perform several call center types of activities from collections to customer service.
For the last three and a half years, we have been using a proprietary software in our department called UCSS. It is a system of arranging data calling upon several layers of windows.
Windows hide behind windows. Because of this complicated construction, our job has been performed by the creation of several scripts.
Without these scripts, doing the functions of the job would take more time.
Here is my dilemma. Today, as we were awaiting a bit of an upgrade to handle some more steps to our process, we learned that, since in Kentucky, Kansas City, and The Lakes Nv, used window-eyes, we were going to have a uniform platform across the country and go to using window-eyes in South Dakota.
It does not matter that we would need to be trained in Windoweyes. It does not matter that they would have to purchase all new software with maintenance agreements. It does not matter that no one is familiar with how one could convert scripts to set files in order to facilitate the necessary speed we must have in our job. It does not matter that that we are on a more complicated platform while those using Window-eyes only deal with the host, something called Rumba.
I am just sick about the whole thing.
I am just a peasant employee, and, even though none of those making the decisions is blind, or has used any assistive technology, they feel just fine with this decision.

I just wanted to ask you how useful Window-eyes really is. I know it is user friendly; but, in truth, I am just afraid that it does not have the power behind it to accomplish what needs to be done to keep us in some small way competitive.
I do not want to sound like a whining brat.
I will be fifty next birthday so finding something else is not easy.
So, I am left to try to find some folks who know a lot about window-eyes and could hazard a guess as to its suitability for my job tasks.
Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
Deborah Ver Steeg
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

***
Please ask me about my talking key chains, a fund raiser for my state ACB affiliate.
They speak the temperature.
Batteries can be replaced.
***

to contact me send an email to: