RE: Extended character search in MSWord 2003

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 08:59:35 -0000

Robert,

If you open the Find dialogue with Control + F, then press the More
button (Alt + M), some additional controls are added to the dialogue.
One of these is a Special button menu (Alt + E), which opens a list of
these kinds of characters. Press Enter on one of them and a code will be
put in the Find What area, so you can then review. They will all consist
of a ^ character followed by another character, and I've found it useful
to memorise a few of them. The hard return in Word is called a paragraph
mark, and its code is ^p.

As for the Insert /Symbols dialogue, I can't think of an elegant way but
this may be enough for you. With focus on a character you know, route
JAWS to the PC cursor with Insert + NumPad Minus, then PageDown and
UpArrow twice. It will be on a line that gives a description of the
character, along with its code. Switch back to the PC cursor with NumPad
Plus and move to another character. Switch back to the JAWS cursor with
NumPad Minus and press Insert + UpArrow to read the line again, and it
will have a description of the new character. Some of the descriptions
don't fit in the space provided, and I don't know what you can do then!

Steve