Error 6, JAWS loses authorisation

  • From: "Robbie" <tickleberryfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:47:27 +0100

Dear support team,
I would like to inform you of a problem I experienced with JAWS and which I
was able to solve. It might benefit other users who have the same issue.

I'm using JAWS 11 on a Sony VAIO with Windows 2007. Although JAWS was
activated successfully, shortly after booting I would get an error message
saying, "Error 6. Function is not licensed to run on this computer."
Repeating the activation would only result in my wasting authorizations,.
The activation would be successful, but after rebooting the same error
message would come up.
Enquiries to a JAWS mailing list and to my local dealer were unsuccessful.
After much desperation and fiddling around I found the solution.
The VAIO has its own energy management settings. They are in a separate tab
to the Windows energy settings. That is why I wasn't aware of them to begin
with.
In that tab the DVD drive was set to switch off completely if not in use. It
would switch off soon after booting - and that is when JAWS reported error
6.
Apparently JAWS no longer recognized the system with the DVD drive gone from
the hardware setup.
Since I set the DVD drive to never switch off, JAWS is running without fail
and error 6 is history.

As this problem does not seem to be widely known, I thought I better report
my experience.

Kind regards
Robbie Sandberg

http://www.robbie-sandberg.com/en