Digests are too large!

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw-admins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 04:08:53 -0500

James,

Would it be possible for you to limit the number of posts on the Digest
version of the JFW Users list? When only one digest is distributed in a 24
hour period, the size of the digests become extremely large. On average, the
digests now contain over 100 posts, and that doesn't even include copies of
the message threads. On my dial-up Internet account, it is taking as long as
5 minutes to retrieve a JFW digest!

The other disadvantage of only posting digests once every 24 hours, is that
getting a reply to a question takes much longer. Digest subscribers might
post a question in the morning, but won't see any responses until the next
morning.

When the JFW Users list was hosted on Yahoo, the digests were limited to a
maximum of 25 posts, and when that limit was reached, it triggered
distribution of a new digest. On average, we would receive 3 or 4 digests
per day. This method kept the digests to a manageable size, and shortened
the interval between posting a request for help and getting a response.
Could you please implement such a policy?

Regards,

Alan Clendinen