Re: Dell Laptop and speech

  • From: Adam <adam.daou@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:02:39 -0400

Hi Vicki,

You said you've tried everything to fix your sound problem, and in spite of some suggestions from the list, still no sound. With no sound at all, it's really hard to check all related settings using silent keystrokes. So, we have two options here requiring some sighted help, but first it will be good to check your speakers or headset, and test Windows sound behavior as follows:

Open the Run Dialog Box, type notepad and hit Enter. Now, type hello and press Alt + F4 to close it. Normally, Windows will produce a warning sound. If no sound, we can proceed to the two options mentioned above.

Option 1:

With a sighted help, open your Volume Control and go to Playback Properties. Make sure all check boxes are checked, and hit OK. Back to main Volume screen, make sure nothing is set to mute, and increase everything except the line in item if you don't use it and the microphone (Set it to 25 to 30%).

Option 2:

You said the sound problem happened a couple of days ago. With a sighted help again, launch Windows System Restore (I hope it's not disabled), and try to return your Laptop to a previous state where sound was still OK. Let's say three days or one week ago, or whatever set date in the calendar as long as it doesn't affect any recently installed programs. This System Restore is far from being a Time Machine, but it often helps get things to a previous functional state.

Good luck.

Adam

Vicki Wherry wrote:

I did that too. I also tried the arrow keys and the pageup several times.
Vicki