Re: Dealing with graphical passwords and varifications

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:20:41 -0500

The trouble is that even to the sighted folks out there, these verification codes are fuzzy. They do this to prevent the codes from being copied. In theory it works for sighted folks, but not for us. So if a sighted person has trouble with them, and indeed some do, then JAWS doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being able to deal with it. What really needs to happen is that the companies who do these things need to provide alternative means of setting up an account and that goes beyond the scope of the list.
I wish JAWS had the means of being able to extract the information but sadly, it doesn't. and I haven't been able to find any other screenreader out there who can either so i guess we're all in the same boat.

At 04:12 PM 9/16/2005, you wrote:

Okay, seeing as graphical passwords, varification words, security codes, or what have you are becoming the norm, I do have to ask this one question. Is it possible for JFW to extract the necessary information to form the security codes and such? Or, at the verry least, do they know when they'll be able to? People seem unwilling to provide alternative means of accessing that information, so apparently it's up to us to adapt ourselves to them... again.

James,
List Admin