Copying From One Audio CD to Another Using Windows Media Player and JFW

  • From: "Ray Campbell" <ray.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <VICUG-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:33:59 -0500

Hi All:

I was helping someone copy one audio CD to another this morning.  While
we got the job done, I feel there must be a more efficient way to do
this.  We were running Windows XP Home and JFW 7.1.

Here's what we did.  We put the audio CD in and a dialog box came up
offering us several options.  As we wanted to copy from this CD, we
selected "Copy music from CD Using Windows Media Player," and pressed
enter.  We got a playlist of the tracks that were copied and each one
had a copy status of "copied to Library."  We only have one CD drive
which is a CD-RW drive, so we at some point needed to be able to remove
the CD we were copying from and put in the blank one we wanted to copy
too.

At the point we got this playlist of tracks with copy status of "Copied
to Library," we tried taking the audio CD out.  The playlist went to
"zero items."  We tabbed over to the Media Library button and hit enter
on it, and our tracks were in the Media library, but we couldn't select
them using the space bar to copy them to a CD.  They kept saying "not
checked," for each track.

We tried doing the copy to while the original audio CD was in, and just
before copying, we tried taking out the original and putting in the
blank.  Again, we got a list of zero items.

Finally, we had to go into My Music, locate the folder where the CD had
been copied and copy the folder onto a blank CD.  This did work.

Is there a way we could have copied from one CD to another using Windows
Media Player and only one drive?  If so, would someone please tell me
how this would have been done?

Thanks,

Ray Campbell, HelpDesk Technician
Adaptive Technology Center
Chicago Lighthouse for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
1850 W. Roosevelt Road
Chicago, IL  60608
312-997-3651 (Voice/Relay) or
888-825-0080 (voice/Relay)