Re: Coding Opera or google chrome

  • From: crystallogic@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:02:13 -0700

Quoting Marsha <marcatony@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi
If the attitude is "Why not just use. . . . ." Why make new things accessible?

Marsha
Seriously. That's a terrible attitude. I don't know how many times I've asked people about alternatives to a certain programme, like Adobe reader, for example, that might be screenreader-friendly, and people just say, "oh, why not just use Adobe Reader? It's accessible!"...as though there might not be dozens of other perfectly logical or even personal reasons why someone might not want to use a certain product. Back in the early 90s a lot of folks, including me, would have said to people trying to get on board with this "newfangled Windows thing" that they should just "keep using DOS", which was "perfectly adequate to our needs"...

Personally it's always bothered me that we have such comparatively little available to us, software wise. The average computer user has got hundreds of applications to choose from that all more or less perform the same thing; it's just the interfaces, size, etc that differ....everyone should have this level of choice available to them and it is a sad but inevitable fact that we don't; we're pretty much stuck with either the most mainstream products or complete niche items that are designed "specifically for blind users" because those are the applications that have the most accessibility work done with them. Now to a certain extent we have to live with this reality, but it doesnt' mean we have to like it...we should be going out of our way to try new programmes, make suggestions to their authors, tell otehrs on the list what software works and what doesn't, etc.

Good work to those who have the knowledge and ability to code additional jaws scripting.

Alternative archives located at: