Audible Manager 5 scripts stop working

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Blind Audible" <BlindAudibleListeners@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:42:07 -0700

This may be something only Ken Gould may be able to address.  Ever since Ken
made his scripts for Audible Manager 5 available on the Freedom Scientific
site, I've had the pleasure of being able to use this version of Audible
Manager without getting stuck in a details window and being unable to escape
it or perform any Audible Manager function at all.  So the scripts have been
a real gift.

But something seems to have gone awry, just today, suddenly.  Here's what
happened:

I knew there was a book newly available at Audible which I wanted to buy as
soon as my legacy plan credits were renewed, and today was the day.  So
first, in preparation, I did a little housekeeping.  I launched Audible
Manager and hooked up my Sandisk Sansa M230 (I play Audible books on the
Sansa, but put each week's New Yorker selections onto my Creative MuVo
Nomad, so I can skip among the articles using its section index capability,
which the Sansa lacks).     I was able to navigate around that interface
pretty accurately, as usual, with just the PC cursor active and using the
tab key, arrow keys, and so forth.  I went into the pane for the mobile
device, deleted the last book I'd readfrom the Sansa, then went back into
the Library list view and moved a few read files into the subfolder where I
keep things like that.  Everything worked fine.

then I launched my browser, went to Audible, typed credits into a Jaws Find
dialogue, and checked to see that I had my credits available.  I did.

then I found the book I wanted, paid for it with the one click (Express, I
guess it's called, or 'spress, it sounded like this morning, as in 'spress
yourself, brother), and clicked on the conformation control when presented
with that page.  Thank you, it said somewhere, and then my new purchase
automatically began to download to my computer.  I wish it didn't do that;
I'd be happy to use Express Pay just to avoid the Shopping Cart and checkout
steps, but then would be more             than happy to go to My Library,
maybe have a chance to change my format choice for the file I wanted to
download, and then clicking on Download It.  But whatever.  I guess if I
really want to try Format 4 on this one, I'll just have to go back to
Audible, go to my library, fiddle with that combo box, and download the
sucker again.  Ah, these convenience features without an opt in choice.

Okay.  So the file downloads, I can hear it, and I go away from the computer
to do something, but Ican still hear Jaws speaking.  A few minutes after the
download is finished, audible Manager begins to transfer the book onto the
Sansa without my having told it to but, again, okay, fine.  Whatever.  Maybe
I might want to put it on the other device?

And I hear Jaws say that the transfer is happening, then that it's complete.
I miss the sound effects that announced these events before version 5, but
again, whatever.  That was handy for someone who can't see what's going on,
the sounds, and now it's gone.

Okay.  Now I sit down again and try to navigate around Audible Manager.  I
want to see how large the file is on the Sansa, and decide whether to go
back and get it again, this time in Format 4.

But lo and behold, things begin going weird.  In the Library list view, I'm
trapped in the details few of only one of the titles there.  I shift tab,and
miraculously, I wind up in the folder view pane.  But now Jaws doesn't speak
Library, or the names of its subfolders.  It just says zero, open, zero
closed, and 1 and 2 for the subfolders beneath it.  I tab back into the list
view to see what's happening there, and this time, I can't get out of the
details view.  I tab, arrow, shift tab, and arrow again, but I'm stuck in
the details view telling me all about one of the books in my Library list
view.  Details I don't need in the first place because, if I didn't know
this stuff about the book in the first place, why would I have purchased and
downloaded it?  Never mind.  I'm sure the pane or window has some cosmic
purpose.

But the point is, I'm stuck in the Details View even though the scripts were
functioning until I downloaded that book.  Connection?  I'  can't imagine,
but I mention the sequence just in case.

I unload Jaws and relaunch it.  No difference.  I exit Audible Manager
(amazed that I can access the menu line, which was impossible before I
installed the scripts) and relaunch it.  No help.

Anybody know what may have happened?  Ken?  Do you read the list messages?

I'm going to double post this to the JFW list, now that I think of it.  If
Ken is on either of these lists, he's mostly a lurker, so I'd better
broadcast this a little, as insurance.
I'mstic