An Attendee at the JAWS 7.0 release in Austin, Texs speaks!

  • From: "Beto Escobar III" <betoescobar3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List Serve" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 04:18:38 -0500

Hello Everyone:

I have just now gone through a whole bunch of E-mails from the JFW List Serve,
and there were a couple about the show in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday,
regarding JAWS 7.0!  If I remember correctly, if you have an SMA, you will be
able to download version 7.0 of JAWS today, September 30, 2005!  It was three
hours packed full of information; let me se what I remember...

My first impression was that the group in Jacksonville, Florida is a very
friendly group.  Eric Damery, if this is how you spell his name, got on-line
with some people from Freedom Scientific using MSN messenger 7.0-- I believe--
and he was explaining how well JAWS 7.0 works with MSN 7.0!  Now, I did not
take any notes, and I may be off in version numbers etc, but I really came away
with the impression that I have not even begun to tap into how versatile JAWS
really is, and this is coming from a user since JAWS 2.0!

There has been a lot of work on having JAWS work in association with the
Microsoft Accessibility software which now enables  JAWS to read certain items,
I do not remember what exactly, correctly.  Eric used things like
Skype and FireFox in the presentation!

One thing that they did mention; Freedom Scientific is now dropping support,
and I hope I am stating this correctly, for all users which still run Windows
95, and Win N.T. 4.0!  He gave us a very good reason why as well...

Eric stated that the technology which is being introduced in JAWS 7.0 now
cannot work in either one of those two environments.  He made some kind of
statement that people have called into F.S. and complained that they were
unable to use new functions in new versions of JAWS which were just released.
When they investigated the matter, it was found that the Windows environment
being used was not able to manipulate the new technologies which were put into
JAWS.  My thought was that if Microsoft themselves do not support versions of
windows like 3.1, 95, N.T. 4.0, I don't see why anyone else should as well.  My
impressions are that if there is anyone who still uses these particular
environments (Windows 95, NT 4.0) spend a couple of bucks and buy at least
Win98SE, and this is taking a risk as well!

There was no mention as to why the release was done in Austin, Texas, but I was
glad I attended.  This is the first time I have ever participated in an event
such as this.  As I was thinking about why the release was done here, I told my
wife (who drove me up to Austin) and I told her the only rationale, I could
think of, why F.S. did a show like this in Austin, Texas was because of the new
Operating System Microsoft is releasing-- I believe the code name is Longhorn?
Am I correct?  Well, the University of Texas athletic teams are the U.T.
Longhorns!  Hook Em Horns!

One lat thing; where can I download skype, if I am spelling it correctly, as
well as FireFox?  Can anyone send me a list of programs which are JAWS
friendly?

Thanks,

Beto Escobar III, LMSW

CEO ACCESS San Antonio, Inc.