Re: Active X Controls

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 01:26:33 -0700

Well, that's sort of the way I thought it was. But, so far as I'm aware, the
pages at which I've been getting these notices don't have any intrinsic
programs that must run in order for the pages themselves to display.  That's
why I am left to imagine that the Active-X would need to be turned on not
for the sake of the pages themselves, but to enable some sort of advertising
material to be displayed, or something like that.  As I said, not responding
to these notices hasn't resulted in any inconvenience at all to me, so far
as I'm aware.  And also, I do think the notices just started appearing when
I upgraded to Jaws 6.2 from 6.0.  As if 6.2 is configured to inhibit or not
use this technology.  maybe as a hedge against certain kinds of virus
introduction.  Although I seriously doubt that The New York Times and the
Los Angeles times articles have been infiltrated by viruses awaiting the
chance to infect my computer.

So I guess I'll leave things as they are, and not let the notices worry me.