Re: AT&T Natural Voices

  • From: "Ray Foret Jr." <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:47:28 -0600

First, question first.  You do not need to buy a special product to get the
AT&T Natural voices.  You can go to:
www.nextup.com
and pay $35.00 for which you will get the US. English voices Mike and
Crystal.  You can have them in 8K or 16K...16K is better.

    Now, second question.  These voices do work well with JAWS; however, a
friendly note of caution.  They are quite sluggish; even when you have more
than ample drive and memory space.  All that to say this.  IF you use them,
be prepared to wait perhaps 1 quarter second or a little shorter between the
time you press a key and you hear the result.  For instance, if you turn
keyboard help on and press the letters, you can get a good feel for just how
much processing  these voices take.  Yes, they can be used to read e-mail.
They can be used to browse the web; albeit a little slowly.  Point is, if
you get them, get ready to not be able to work quite as fast.  I would not
be hesitant to recommend them for private home use; but, I would not do so
for a work environment in which much work must be done very quickly.  But,
if you feel the urge to take the plunge, be my guest...enjoy them; I do.

Sincerely,

The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray

Home Phone and Fax: (985)853-0139
e-mail and Windows Messenger: