[jawsscripts] speech not stopping when windows key is pressed

  • From: "David Farough" <David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 16:19:50 -0400

I have noticed that in versions of jaws going back as far as 6.20, that
pressing the windows key does not stop speech if the contents of a
listview or other control is being read.  This also will not stop a
sayAll if SayAll is in progress.

This can be addressed in the   MenuActiveProcessed function in jaws
versions 7.10 8.0 and 9 public beta
look for
If GetWindowSubTypeCode(hWnd) == WT_STARTMENU then
Insert a line containing the stopSpeach function.

Your code should look like this:

If GetWindowSubTypeCode(hWnd) == WT_STARTMENU then
   StopSpeech ()

For jaws 7.0 and 6.20 you would need to modify the MenuModeEvent.

Look for the following lines:

If mode == MENU_ACTIVE then
 If GetWindowSubTypeCode(WinHandle) == WT_STARTMENU then
once again you would add the stopSpeach function after the second if
statement.
so the code should look like this:

If mode == MENU_ACTIVE then
 If GetWindowSubTypeCode(WinHandle) == WT_STARTMENU then
  StopSpeech ()

I do not know if there are any problems that could arise as a result of
making this change, but it seems to me that little things like this
probably contribute to the opinion that Jaws is less responsive than it
should be.  I am amaze that this has not been noticed and fixed before
now.

David Farough
Application Accessibility Coordinator/coordonateur de l'accessibilité
Information Technology Services Directorate /
Direction des services d'information technologiques
Public Service Commission / Commission de la fonction publique
Email / Courriel:  David.Farough@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel. / Tél:    (613) 992-2779