[jawsscripts] Re: introduction and, of course, a question

  • From: "Tony Hernandez" <tonyhspeaks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 22:13:05 -0400

Hi DC.

Well, it looks like I'm busted. Lol. It is Paltalk. Thank you for your reply
and suggestions. Unfortunately, if a chat post is more than 2 lines long,
which happens pretty often in my experience, trying to grab 2 strings isn't
always going to capture the whole post, and there's no way to my knowledge
to predict how many lines a post is going to ttake up. I've also thought of
using the colon in the post as a delimiter, the way the Miranda scripts do
as far as I know, but that wouldn't work satisfactorily because someone
might use a colon in their post as in when posting a smily, a time as in
12:00, or even a Bible verse.

I remember that Frank has written scripts for Paltalk, and I was familiar
with some of the code, but the people at BMG software have decided to change
internal information and made things inaccessible to the off screen model.
Worse than that, they also turned the settings and preferences dialog into
some sort of makeshift nonstandard monster with the controls totally
inaccessible to the keyboard by taking those controls out of the tab order.
The only button that can be manipulated with the keyboard in that dialog is
the OK button. They also took the chat history window out of the tab order
in voice rooms and instant message windows. Further still, they used to have
2 spaces between the colon after the username and the posted message, but
they made this one space instead, taking away yet another distinguishing
mark.

So you can see that I've exhausted a good deal of alternative solutions to
my problem. The next thing I might try is contacting BMG software and seeing
if they would allow partially trusted callers to access the iTextDocument
interface of the chat history window or, even better, implement MSAA.

Tony Hernandez
http://dutyofman.net/
http://blind-side.net/
Twitter: blindsidenet