[jawsscripts] Re: going rate for a professional scripter

  • From: "Travis Roth" <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 20:56:42 -0600

On an employee basis, or as a consultant?
You didn't say your location which also might come into play.
In the U.S. salaried programmers and accessibility consultants range from
$50,000 to $100,000 annually. Some maybe more, though higher seems less
likely to me for JAWS scripting. And a newby in the field or fresh from
college may get less, with the economy and all. Also in the U.S. it seems
(I've not scientifically studied this) as far as government jobs that
federal positions pay more than state positions, in both cases the position
often has a predetermined wage scale, often mentioned in the job posting.

On a consulting basis where you are independent or essentially your own
company, I've seen rates ranging from $50 to $150 per hour. Some
professional shops possibly more, but I am assuming you're referring to an
individual.
You may also want to take other items into consideration of a gig when
working independently, such as it is a short-term one time job? Or is the
offer for a more permanent situation where you get an on-going project such
as over several months or years. A consultant may trade some dollars per
hour for mmore guarantee in length of contract, amount of work coming his
way, etc.

A consultant may also decide to charge by the project a flat fee. I think
for scripters this isn't preferred as it is hard to gauge the exact time a
project wil be needed. However, clients often are more comfortable with a
fixed fee. If you decide to go this route, I'd recommend carefully scoping
the project, get a good feel for the client's requirements, then estimate
the amount of time you think you'll need. Then add some buffer, such as 20%.
Multiply that by your hourly fee to arrive at the price. Scoping is not an
exact science, and sometimes is closer to an art. So you may estimate far to
high, or far to low the first few times. Depending on how badly you need the
job, even if underestimating causes you to earn less than hoped, can also be
a factor, as earning $5 can be better than earning $0 sometimes. Other times
taking the $5 job may cost the consultant an opportunity for a $10 job, and
it may be better to turn down one job for another. In other words, it all
depends on the situation and there is not one exact correct answer.

Hope this gives you some line of thought if nothing else...