[jawsscripts] accessibility requirements for a marquee control

  • From: "Manish Agrawal" <manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 21:35:29 +0530

Hi,
I am developing a marquee-like control for a wpf application.
For anyone who is not exactly sure, a marquee control in html basically
scrolls some content continuously from one corner of the screen to another
on a web page. Usually used to display news headlines or advertisements at
the bottom or top of a page.
My question is about what kind of accessibility should I build into this
control that will be useful for screen readers and other AT in general? By
its very nature, a marquee doesn't get keyboard focus - it is read only
information that is constantly moving along the screen and a user is not
expected to interact with it except for reading it. In some implementations,
a mouse over causes a marquee to freeze where it is on the screen and start
scrolling again when the mouse is removed - a use case where someone wants
to carefully read a news item for example.

Will appreciate any thoughts on how such a control should be exposed for
accessibility. You can put across your ideas regardless of specific
accessibility APIs like UIA or anything else.

-Manish