[jawsscripts] Re: Tracking a focus rectangle

  • From: Jackie McBride <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:38:49 -0700

Jim, gosh I hate to sound stupid in front of u--but I had a situation
similar to this when writing scripts for Band-in-a-box & found that
assigning a custom highlight color actually worked. In order to make
that happen, I had to have folks change their chord sheet font style
to bold, & then, for whatever reason, Jaws was able to recognize the
highlighting w/the help of the custom highlight assign. But I'm
guessing you've done that, huh?

I had a computer forensics app that had check boxes similar to that. I
had to do a findColors() &, in that case, ensure it fell within a
certain pixel range. PITA.

So:
a) I'll look stupid; or
b) I'll deprive u of your kicks;  or
c) I'll be the heroine of the day.

33.3% chance of any of the above occurring, I guess. Hmm, I guess
perhaps b & c could occur together.

Have a good weekend. I'm off to la-la land. It'll be an early morning tomorrow.

On 7/13/12, Jim Snowbarger <Snowman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The situation is sort of like a spreadsheet, but not in Excell, in a
> software design tool. It's the entities on a diagram.  As you operate the
> arrows, you move focus to one entity or another, along prescribed paths.
> And, the way the program indicates focus is by moving a box around that
> encloses an  entity.    The box is, of course,  indicated by alternating
> bands of color.
> Jaws doesn't track that focus change, even though Track Focus Rectangle is
> turned on.   And, the focus object isn't moving around.  And, I can't think
> of any place where you can specify the definition of a focus rectangle.
> So,  I guess I'll have to search for it myself.
> Anyway, for some reason I don't seem to have any code around where I did
> this, even though I've certainly seen it before.  So, I'm about to rewrite
> some clever code to search for that box, and know  I'll have a great time
> doing it, even though if I were more orderly, I wouldn't have to.  But, it
> will be a nice  little short brain teaser, though when I get it done, it's
> going to be a dog of a performer.  An old dog.  So, is there a better way to
> approach this?  You guys know any tricks I might try?  Or, something obvious
> I've overlooked?
> Think twice, if it's really simple.  Are you sure you wanna tell me? You
> know you might be depriving a compulsive programmer of his kicks.  <grin>

Blame the computer--why not? It can't defend itself & occasionally
might even be the culprit
Jackie McBride
Ask Me Computer Questions at: www.pcinquirer.com
Jaws Scripting training materials: www.screenreaderscripting.com