[jawsscripts] Re: Opinion post: Time to change where new scripters begin

  • From: Soronel Haetir <soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doug Lee <doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 06:14:13 -0900

I agree fully with the idea that UIA should be the starting point for
anyone picking up scripting from jaws 15 on.  My answer to your point
about UIA being complicated is that programming simply is complicated.

The main reason I would say that UIA should be the starting point is
(and you did mention this) the fact that old style window navigation
simply will not work for lots of new programs because they are not
written using individual windows for each UI element.  Visual studio
is a great example of this, it switched to WPF awhile back and so now
only has a single window for the entire main UI (transient child
windows are still created and plugins can still be window based, but
everything that is present in the typical visual studio layout is now
rendered in just one HWND).  Such programs are only going to become
more common as time goes on.

Soronel Haetir
soronel.haetir@xxxxxxxxx