[jawsscripts] Music applications and scripts, was My introduction.

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 00:25:18 +1100

Hi Ayaz.

I've been out of the pro music game for about 7 years now I guess, so that's
a long time I know.

but, some of the programs you've listed, of which you indicate your
knowledge is more limited,
like Sonar, ProTools, Reaper, etc, are what they call MultiTrack Midi/audio
music creation programs.
and they are much more sophisticated because of this. In general terms, this
means they have facilities like a regular recording studio would have, (in
fact many studios use these very applications,) to record multiple tracks of
both actual audio, i.e.  real musical instruments like guitars, flutes,
saxes, Or vocals, alongside Midi data tracks,which can subsequently be sent
to a range of either hardware or software synthesizers, thus having the
ability to separate the actual sounds, from the data controlling those
sounds.
This is similar to what recording studios used to do on wide analog
multitrack tape.
this facilitates adding separate effects, EQ, and other processing to each
sound/instrument separately, cutting and pasting parts individually on their
corresponding tracks, layering or doubling sounds as needed, until the music
creation is built up to the person's liking.  many of These programs now
typically also support what are called soft synths,, or virtual instruments
if you like.

I believe sonar is still one of the most widely supported multitrack music
creation tools for blind users.  There are currently two sets of JAWS
scripts available for it. One is Free, and is called JSonar, which does not
support the very latest release of sonar, which I believe is version 9, but
supports up to the version before that, i.e. Sonar version8.5.
available from:

http://www.jSonar.org

I was a very happy JSonar user when I was working with sonar in my day.

The other set of scripts is not free, and brings a different modality
approach to the job, and is called CakeTalking.

available from:

http://www.dancingdots.com/main/index.htm

hth.
is