[jawsscripts] Re: Frames processing and NewTextEvent

  • From: "Smith, Alice A. HQ DCO" <Alice.A.Smith@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:54:32 -0400

John,

Look at your frame properties. Open the Frame Viewer, Tab to the frame
you want, Press ALT+ENTER and go to the Events tab. Add an event and
assign it to "On Text". Take the default for the next two choices. When
JAWS says something like Choose an action, select "Suppress Script
Event". If you do an Insert+B on that dialog the description will tell
you that when "Suppress script event" is used with "On Text", the
NewTextEvent is suppressed in that frame.

When I set my frame up that way, the highlighted text was still spoken.
This is the bug I reported.

However, I do have actions in the NewTextEvent that will fire if a
specific frame is given in the parameters of the NewTextEvent. That may
be what you are looking for.

For example: In NewTextEvent there is a string sFrameName parameter that
is given a value of the frame that the new text is appearing in. So you
can do things like the following in the NewTextEvent without doing any
setup in the frame properties.
If sFrameName == "ScreenName1" then ; new screen name written or blanks
written

ScheduleFunction ("IdentifyScreen", 2) ; if this is called again within
two tenths second the first call will not execute.

EndIf

I would not perform any functions within the NewTextEvent itself because
it may fire several times in the same frame. In a terminal emulator
NewTextEvent will fire 20 or so times on every new screen. I use
ScheduleFunction to prevent repeat calls to my IdentifyScreen function.

Hope this helps,

Alice