[jawsscripts] Are there any scripting tools to create jaws scriptsfor games?

  • From: "Geoff Chapman" <gch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 03:49:59 +1100

Hi David/scripters.

Man firstly, I want to start off by saying that I do realize how incredibly
disappointing and frustrating it can be,
not to be able to easily and readily participate in utilizing the software
that others around you may be using, and how natural it is that you would
desire a solution that would enable you to readily be able to do this.
As blind people, we all suffer this at one level or another, and I do
remember how incredibly hurtful and depressing this felt for me, at times
when I've had software that I really wanted to be able to utilize, but due
to it's speech unfriendly nature, was unable to.

However having said this,  I feel I perhaps may safely speak for all of us,
when I say, that I believe,
that jaws scripting most applications that have been written for sighted
users,
to make them speech friendly for easy and intuitive useage by a blind
person, is unfortunately, just not a simple nor easy to acccomplish task!
for anybody! even the most experienced scripters.
I'd very much welcome any support or alternate oppinions or comments
that anyone else would like to throw into the discussion, and so
submit to david publicly upon this point,
but, from my limited and relatively recent forays into scripting myself, and
also from having
actually sat down and just wandered through the jss script code, for an
application which has been professionally scripted,
such as skkype for example,  to me, it appears that scripting is just an
incredibly specialized, time consuming, and, well  for me anywayz,
just a  very difficult task to do!  And I'd personally
have thought, that off-the-shelf games built for sightlings,
would be among the hardest functional aplications
to try and tackle!
Would anyone else like to comment upon this?

As has often been said up here before, scripting is really like learning to
speak a foreign language.  What seems such a simple thing to want, say, for
person
A, when visiting a new country who may not pspeak his language,
i.e. he may just wanna order a coffee or find a hotel or whatever,
is an incredibly difficult
thing to communicate, to anyone in that country, if they don't speak the
same language!
i.e. the comunication path between the two people is broken.
To be readily effective,
person A who is visiting, would have to learn all kinds of very tricky and
tedious
aspects of not only the sounds to form with their lips, but in some
languages, even the general pitch of the sequence of those sounds, simply to
communicate the simplest of content!

Does this give you a kind of picture?

I feel Scripting is very much like this.  In addition,
I really wouldn't think that it would be as simple, as finding a set of
tools,
that a non-scripter can just
suddenly pick up, and start to immediately use, to craft the kind
of scripts that could achieve the end result they may desire,
of making an application intuitive and easy to use for us.
And, of course  not only this, but also, every aplication is different!  so
it is simply not possible for anyone to say, that x or Y application,
will even be possible to be made accessible and useable, even if scripted
for.
Because the end result level of speech friendly functionality one can
achieve, just so much depends on,
A. the way the software developer has chosen to design their software,
B. the skill of the scripter involved,
C. whether that scripter has any eyes to help them determine what the
software is actually meant to be doing at every given point of operation,
and
D. the time the scripter may have, to invest in trying to get the software
accessible.
and probly quite a few other factors as well.

Do you begin to see what I'm seeking to explain here?

And re scripting tools, well,  consider the following analogies.
It's of rather limited usefulness to me, if for example,
I have had no experience at doing handyman type jobs around my house,
for someone to just plonk in to my hands,
what they may know as, a really very useful set of handyman tools.
I may want to put  a towelRail on my wall for example.  but, I still have to
have a certain knowledge to know, what a dril is, which tool Is the drill,
what kind of drill to use to get through the wall substance I've got,
whether or not I use plugs for the holes first, whether the length of screws
I might need is gunna support what weight,
... a whole range of stuff I still have to know, to effectively use those
tools, to do that, "simple,"" job!

it seems to me, that not everyone is cut out to be a programmer/scripter.
Not everyone's giftings/brain pathways are, "wired," like that.

I can just tell you for myself, that  because I've primarily been a
musician/guitar player
all my life, and haven't had any significant experience in programming,
The simple logic of the task of scripting, just does not come easily to my
brain! whereas for others, I know it just flows out of them without them
having to think much about it at all.
As keeping in time with a beat, or in pitch with a melody,
naturally flows out of me, as a musical type person.  I can just immediately
know when I'm out of pitch, or rhythm, whereas I've taught other people, in
music, who simply can't always tell, when they're out of time with
something.  and they have to work really really hard at listening really
carefully to the beat, to see if they are still in sync with it. whereas,
because of the gifts in that direction that God has given me,
I have never really had to struggle very much to do that.
But following a simple path of, if, then, logic, then throwing in a few
nested if statements, can completely bring me undone very quickly.

Of course the actual technique of playing an instrument is still a struggle
and takes some application. But, it would take a whole bunch more
application, and level of difficulty, for someone to master a certain level
of skill on an instrument, if they found those basic things of being able to
sense pitch or time, a real struggle for them at the outset.  Does this make
sense?

I only say all this to seek to encourage you, and to perhaps help you paint
a realistic picture, so that if you seek to begin to have a shot at learning
to script for yourself,
you may go into it with your eyes open, and your awareness of it's potential
difficulties, heightened.

Chris's question is a good one.
have you been able to take in some of the concepts of the basics of
Scripting manual, that ships with jaws I think these days, in the program
files/training folder? is that where it's located now?
There are also some tutorials Jim SnowBarger put together, which are
vailable on the Grab Bag site that inthane posted about in an earlier
message. they may also be worth your while having a listen through to, and
see how you find it to try and follow the concepts therein.

here is a page you can download the basics of scripting manual from,
and also get links to read about Freedom Scientific's Scripting workshop
courses they offer, if you feel yu might like to really dive into this
scripting lark further.mihgt  etc.

http://www.freedomscientific.com/training/JAWS-training-hq.asp

Look for the heading:

Scripting Manual and the Freedom Scientific Developer Network (FSDN)

Hhope this helps a bit david, and sorry it was so long winded.
That's another gift I absolutely do not possess!
Conciseness and simplicity of explanations! <groan.>

geoff c.