[jawsscripts] Accessing the Dropbox Badge

  • From: "Travis Roth" <travis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:01:42 -0600

Hello,

Dropbox for Business edition has a new feature out called the Dropbox Badge.
This is a little window that is on the right-hand side of an Office document
when it is stored in your Dropbox.
So for example, if you open a Word file from your Dropbox for Business
folder, on the right side of the screen is a bubble that has some info such
as if someone else is editing the file already with unsaved changes, and
some menu choices such as wait for them to finish, share a link, etc.
Of course as you've probably guessed by now, this badge is not accessible to
JAWS. It also appears there are not keyboard shortcuts for the menu choices.

Sometimes when I do JAWS OCR on the screen I can find the badge's info. By
doing this I found that the badge seems to have a window class of
Qt5QWindowGLOwnDCIcon.
If it is in fact QT5 as the window class claims, this does not give me a lot
of confidence.
Has anyone had any experience or success in getting access to a thing such
as this?
As a worst case would it be possible to have a script look for the class and
run JAWS OCR on that window? Is it possible to make JAWS OCR run on a
certain window?
Obviously I'd prefer to extract the info without OCR so if any thoughts on
that, that'd be great.
Thanks.

Travis Roth