[jawsscripts] Re: Accessing MSAA objects by index

  • From: "Mark A. DeMichele" <demi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 09:41:24 -0500

Yes, I have spoken with Andrew, not about this though.  According to the
MSAA spec, they ids can be anything so I don't think it really Abobe's
fault in this case.  I think the real problem is that jaws is missing
the ability to reference items index.  It's not a big issue for me
anymore, since I discovered I can use the object.accNavigate functions
to do what I need to do.

I did speak with Andrew about having flash full support MSAA and allow
child objects.  Right now, the flash implementation is pretty "flat" and
they require the developer to assign tab indexes to each and every piece
of information in the app.  This is annoying to do and not very
peformant if your interface changes dynamically.  Not to mention that as
users and developers tab index should be used for inputs, not reading
order.  I think Andrew agrees that it would be better for the flash
implementation to support nested objects, however, I get the feeling
that it's not a high priority at Adobe.  Without that feature It's
difficult to code complicated interfaces that work though.