[jawsscripts] Re: Accessible Partitioning Program? ?

  • From: Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 13:27:59 -0400

You could boot from a live Vinux CD and run gparted.  Download the ISO
file from vinuxproject.org, and burn it to a blank disk.  You can use
any ISO burning program.  I prefer ISO recorder at:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
It is a simple wizard which is run by selecting the ISO file, pressing
the Applications key, and selecting "Burn to disk".
Now that you have a bootable CD, you must set your computer to boot from
the CD drive.  This can be done by adding it to the boot sequence in the
BIOS.  This step requires sighted help.  Most computers also have a key
to press when starting the computer to bring up a menu of devices to
boot from just this time.  On all of my Dell computers, this is the F12
key.  For any computer you should find out the keys for the BIOS and
this boot menu.  Booting from a CD drive is normally  chosen by pressing
the down arrow once and hitting Enter.  If you have any USB Flash or
external drives attached, you will need to arrow down twice.

Once you hear the Orca welcome message and the orca window comes up
focused on the Preferences button, Press the Left Alt + F1 keys to bring
up the main menu.  Go to System > Administration > gparted to run the
partition program.  It will ask for a password, enter "vinux" without
the quotes.  Press tab once to get to the device combo box.  This is all
of the available drives on the system. Unless you have multiple physical
internal drives or external drives attached, there is probably only one
device available.  Press Tab again to the table of partitions on the
drive.  Make sure you are working on the correct device before doing any
operations!!  Check the size and labels on the partitions to assure that
you have the correct device.  The F10 key will go to the menu bar.  The
Partition menu (Alt + p) sets up the desired operations in a queue.  It
does not immediately perform the operations.  It lets you delete,
create, move, resize and perform many other operations.  The move and
resize operations are non-destructive.  The delete key is definately
destructive!  Backup your current drive and certainly all data before
using this program, just to make sure!  To perform all desired actions,
select this option from the Edit menu (Alt + e).

Good luck!  Vinux and gparted are powerful tools everybody should have
available in their toolkit.

*Don Marang*
Vinux Software Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>
There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any
real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I
am working on things that matter.
-- Dean Kamen