[jawsscripts] Re: Accessible Java Apps?

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:47:21 -0400

Good afternoon Chris,
There are two approaches that I would recommend.

1. Use the SWT packages from eclipse.org.  These are java wrappers for native
OS UI components.

2. Use default Swing packages in Java.  Note, this requires the use of the Java
Access Bridge to convey information to assistive technology.

In my experience 1 works best 2 can work but requires the user to know that
they need to download and install the Java access bridge.

If the program has custom UI components they will need to implement the
accessibility interfaces also included by default in the java packages.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter