[jaws-uk] Re: jaws 13

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 12:13:14 +0100

Hi Amy,

Any developer worth their salt does take note and tries to fix bugs
found, often in what are called "Service releases".  However I know
from personal experience that bug fixing can be a hairy exercise since
it is only as good as the quality of the initial bug report.  All too
often these days I have seen situations where something will fail on a
user's system, and yet I cannot replicate the problem myself.  Those
are the really nasty ones.

There are some quite reasonable rules or requests regarding such
issues.  First, are you running the very latest version of the
software?  If not, you will be advised to do so.  Are you up to date
with Windows Updates?  Often there are issues which Microsoft cause.
Likewise, is the application you are having problems with up to date?
There is no point in reporting a problem say with Office 2007, if you
are running a first release version, which has not had all the service
packs applied.

My own reporting to a software developer usually makes it as clear as
possible what I'm running.  Versions of the suspect software I'm using
(JAWS 11.##.#### or whatever), Office ## Service pack #, Windows,
fully up to date with or without their Optional Updates.  And anything
else which you feel may be relevant.

Finally, detail the steps you take to reproduce the error.  And here I
usually insist that it is confirmed that a problem can be recreated
using the steps I outline at least three times.  This is important
since quite often a problem can occurs for what is quite simply an
unknown reason.

George.