[jaws-uk] Re: accessible internet service providers

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 21:43:49 -0000

Hi Alex,

Your thinking is good, but in the first place it is not
actually the Internet Service Broadband Provider who is
responsible for access issues.

As I see it from a screen reader supplier point of view
there are two main issues.

1) The user knowing how to use their Internet Browser in the
first place, be it Internet Explorer or whatever.  This
usually means reading Help files in their screen reader
program, which not too many people actually do.

2) Web sites which are plain old fashioned badly designed
and inaccessible.

Now lets get down to brass tacks.

Forget who is funding a salary for the moment, but let us
say someone is employed to provide support here.  What would
they be paid?  £200 a week, less tax and national Insurance,
coming away with less than £150 cash in hand themselves.

At absolute minimum that person is actually costing £5 an
hour.

Of course that does not include cost of an office, PC,
electricity, heating and all sorts of overheads.

So we are probably up to a cost of £10 an hour at the
absolute minumum.

Now you have to pay when you want that support.

Will you?

George.