[jaws-uk] Re: Word + Text Boxes

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:02:50 -0000

I've done some playing around with a simple text box in a document,
where I have two paragraphs of text and a text box containing a third
paragraph in between them. The following will work in this situation,
but I'm not sure how definitive a method it is given that documents
containing text boxes can be much more complex.

As I read through the document by character, word, line or with SayAll,
JAWS will announce the presence of a text box by saying "shape field" at
the start of the text box and "out of field" at the end.

I stop reading when JAWS says "shape field", and UpArrow to move to the
previous line.

The text box isn't visible if the document is in Normal view, so I go to
the View menu and press Enter on Print Layout to make sure the text box
is visible.

I then route the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor with Insert + NumPad
minus, and DownArrow until I hear the next line of text - this is the
first line of text within the text box. If any numbers are read out
before the first line of text I ignore them because these are taken from
the ruler down the left side of the screen.

Then I press Insert + RightArrow to get focus onto the first word of the
first line of text box text, and press NumPad slash to left click it.
That gets the keyboard focus into the text box, and I can press NumPad
plus to change to using the PC cursor. Then I can read the text in the
usual way.

When I've finished with it, I can press Escape twice to quit the text
box and put the cursor on the line beneath it.

Steve