[jaws-uk] Re: Windows Live Mail instead of Outlook Express

  • From: "Belinda P" <bcpfizz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 10:32:17 +0100

MessageIn reply to Pete H's message:

I'm talking about Windows Live Mail for the desktop, it's not like the Windows
Live Hotmail that you get when you go to a Hotmail account on webmail.  Windows
Live Mail (WLM) is a downloadable program that Microsoft say people need use
instead of Outlook Express if they use Hotmail.   Hotmail accounts will no
longer work in Outlook Express from the end of June.  WLM doesn't work like a
webmail application, it works very like Outlook Express.   Also WLM works with
any other email accounts and will import all Outlook Express email accounts and
messages when you install it.  (This is actually really annoying as it does
this without being asked to at the end of the install, and it takes ages if you
have a lot of messages to import).   Microsoft intend WLM to be a replacement
for Outlook Express in the future, not just for Hotmail users but for everyone.
 I think this is bad news.

Firstly, there are some crucial differences between WLM and Outlook Express
that I've noticed straight away, all negative.  One difference is that
different email accounts have different mailboxes, so each email account has
its own Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items etc.   Personally, I don't like this nearly
as much.  Another difference is that you no longer have the Identities feature,
which I think is a great loss.  Also the very good Find facility in Outlook
Express has gone and has been replaced with a search box which is more
complicated and I'm not sure works as well.  I liked the ability to search for
messages by different fields, eg To, From, Subject or message.

Secondly, with regards to WLM working with the keyboard and with Jaws I can see
straight away there are going to be problems and it will be much harder.  Just
looking at how you tab and arrow around, WLM does not work in a straightforward
way, for instance sometimes the up and down arrows just don't seem to work.
It's obvious that it will not be nearly as easy to navigate with the keyboard
as Outlook Express is.   Yes of course it willl be possible to use it and it
will be "accessible", but just not nearly so easily, what a shame.

Belinda