[jaws-uk] Re: WebSite Help

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 18:06:08 -0000

Marvin,

        In theory, Jaws should read from the top of the page without your
help, but screen readers are not constant things and don't always behave as
we'd like. It's not really a good idea to develop a web page specifically to
cater for one group of people, as the methods you use may well affect
another user group badly.

        I'm a bit mystified why the target attribute should cause Jaws to
read from the top of the page, but I'd guess that you're using the target
attribute on links within your own site, which lead to other pages within
your own site? If this is the case, try the following...

1. In the code for the link which leads to the page, use the following code:

2. On the page that the link leads to, use the id attribute on an element
near the top of the page, perhaps the first heading, like this:

<h1 id="top">First Page Heading</h1>

        In theory, the #top added to the end of the URL in your link code
will tell the browser to load the page with focus at the point on the page
where it finds the id="top" attribute. Bear in mind that for valid code,
there should only be one instance of an id with the a given value on the
page. This means that you should only use the code id="top" once on each
page.

        For your index/home page link problem, it may be that there is a
problem with your web server. Do all your other links still work? If so,
what is the code you're using to reference the link? Does the path to the
page match up with the new location of the file?

        In terms of the paragraph problem and Jaws reading a blank line,
this is exactly how Jaws should read it. As you'll know from written
English, a paragraph always starts on  a new line. In HTML terms, there will
always be a blank line between paragraphs.

        Before you consider the solution, you should consider your
assumption that having the two sentences of text on the same line will be
bad for sighted people. I would dispute this, but if you wish to have the
two sentences on separate lines, with no blank line in between, then you
need to use the line break tag, like this...

Hi, my name is Marvin.
Have a nice day.

        For your accessible tables, you will need to read a tutorial on the
subject and teach yourself. Try the following section of Joe Clark's
Building Accessible Websites:
http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/Chapter10.html

        Again, with the CSS, you will need to teach yourself. Try the CSS
tutorial from W3C Schools:
http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

        Others on this list may feel that this subject matter is not on
topic, so you may want to consider everyone's reason for being on a Jaws
support list and consider whether web code questions are appropriate.

Regards,
Tink.