[jaws-uk] Re p.s. to : Accessibility of NAS-systems?

  • From: "cliff williams" <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:29:31 +0100

Hi Don this is a p.s. to my last message. One other thing to consider is the
operating system used on the nas. The netgear one I had used something,
probably unix, that meant if the nas enclosure died then there was no way of
retrieving the data on the raid disks because when you put disks into a new
enclosure it automaticly formatted the disks to set up a new system. I also
have a raid system in my desktop and once when one of the disks died I took
the other disk out and put it in a caddy which enabled me to access the data
while I ordered a new disk. Touch wood, the lacie has never let me down but
if one disk goes down you are supposed to be able to hot swap a new disk and
it will be able to rebuild the raid system with your original data in tact.
However, presumable as it an nt system you should be able to remove the good
disk and again put it in a caddy to access the data as it would be ntfs
unless of course you are using an apple in which case it would be apple
format (hfs? I have forgotten exactly what it is) but I presume the same
would apply.
regards cliff