[jaws-uk] Re: Pen drive

  • From: "Scott Wood" <scott.wood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 11:52:43 -0000

Hi Barbara

The pen drive version of Jaws is free but you need to be a registered
version 7 user to be able to run it fully rather than in 40 minute mode.  It
can be downloaded from the FS site.  You will need to buy a pen drive to
load it onto - my 1 gb drive cost me about £70, but this is larger than you
really need and you can get an adequate pen drive (min 128 mb) for much less
than this.

It's quite a good idea but it is a reaction to Dolphin who released their
Dolphin pen last year, but they charge quite a lot for their pen.  The
trouble with it is that if you want to use Jaws on a PC that you have never
used before, it's very fiddly to set it up if you are Vi.  You first need to
install the video chain manager and for this you may need sighted help if
you don't want to delve into the wonderful world of Narrator.  Then once
this is done, when the pen is inserted you would hope that Jaws would start
automatically, but oh no, you have to fly *blind* for a bit if the computer
isn't set up to run things automatically.  I still haven't worked out how to
make it do that.

I think they could  come up with a better solution for mobile computing for
VIP's .  There is an application called Freedom Box which apparently you can
just plug in and away you go - no video chain manager installation, no
having to fly *blind* to get it running, you just plug it in and it starts
talking to you.

Hope this answers your question.

Kind regards ... Scott