[jaws-uk] Re: Marvins Website Project

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:29:36 -0000

Marvin,

        That's an awful lot of questions in just a single email. My advice
would be to learn to walk before you consider getting any farther.

        You need to take a step back and look at some of the basic concepts
in accessible web design. There are a number of good resources =
available,
some of which I've listed below. I'm sure others may have more =
suggestions.

Dive Into Accessibility:
http://diveintoaccessibility.org/

Building Accessible Web Sites:
http://joeclark.org/book/sashay/serialization/

Accessify:
http://www.accessify.com/

        You mention using Jaws to validate that your site is accessible to
people with visual impairments, but you should consider building your =
site
to follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. That way you'll know
you've got a good basis for supporting people with all kinds of ability,
including those who use screen readers.

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

        While you're at it, make sure that the code on each page validates.
You can learn a hell of a lot by debugging your own HTML and CSS.

W3C Markup Validator:
http://validator.w3.org/

Jigsaw CSS Validator:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

        As you work through some of the sites given above, you'll start to
understand the key concepts that will help you achieve the goals you =
have
for your web site. You'll need these skills if you're going to build web
pages.

        Once the basics are familiar to you, then you'll need to consider
looking at other techniques, such as scripting and database =
administration.
PHP and MySQL are certainly one combination, but you'll need to =
understand
the requirements of the system you plan to build much more fully, before =
you
decide whether those are the technologies you'll want to use. IMHO, =
that's a
good combination for home use, but I'd be less likely to use MySQL for
commercial use.
=20
        This might sound like a lot of work, and you'd be right about that.
But it is a necessary step in the process of being able to design your =
own
web sites. If you have specific questions, ask on list, but try asking =
one
question at a time, show the code you've written that doesn't work and
outline the solutions you've already tried or the theories you think =
might
work. That way people will feel a lot more willing and able to lend a =
hand.

Regards,
Tink.
=20