[jaws-uk] J-tools assessment from the end user perspective.

  • From: "Mostafa" <mostafa.almahdy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <j-tools@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sarah.jevnikar@xxxxxxxxx>, <egl0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 14:31:14 +0200

Hello everyone, I hope you all are keeping really well.
This post essentially aims to demonstrate J-tools reassessment, from the end
user perspective.
Of course, as all we know, J-tools is a set of sweet tools and facilities,
which aims to provide efficiency, productivity, responsivness, efforts and time
saving for users of Jaws 14 in particular. However,
If Dragon naturally speaking professional was used in conjunction with J-tools,
you will competently be able to dictate text into your computer, without the
need to use the keyboard at all.
Well of course, I will not be able to provide a feedback on the entire set of
J-tools facilities.
My objective, however, is to basicly provide an end user testemonial, along
with some further comments, a sort of suggestions to improve some existing
features.
Of course, I understand that Astec is not intending to add any new features to
the product, as it was previously announced by Brian Hartgen.
So, to the core of my subject.
I will chronologically talk about three major factors of J-tools.
1; Selection facility.
2; Text notes, shortcuts, and contacts.
  3; J-Clips and program markers.
I will provide a brief assessment for each section.
Of course, that just represents my own limited knowledge and experience.
So, let’s get started.
1; J-tools selection facility.
Of course, the selection facility within J-tools saves much time and efforts.
It reduces the great efforts I used to exert, to select a large block of text,
by continuously holding down the combination of control shift and the erro keys.
I am now able to mark the start point, and that is by simply pressing J-tools,
which is the Grave accent key, followed by comma, to mark the beginning of the
text I wanted to select, followed by J-tools +fullstop, to mark the end of my
selected text.
It is also wonderful, to copy text within Jaws cursor, using the selection
facility.
The neat thing about that is, I can literally select any amount of text, in
spite of how large that is, how long the page is. It doesn’t really matter.
But, I have a minor bug to report at this point.
I usually select a tremendously large block of text.
That may even last in more than 50 pages.
I mark the beginning of the text, and then, I erro down a great deal, to
specify the end of my selected text.
When I press J-tools followed by fullstop to mark the end of my selected text,
I accidentally get encountered with a Jaws crash, that will last for about a
minute, if I remain quiet, and I didn’t immediately interact with the keyboard.
I just await for a minute, and then, I attempt to press a key combination that
I added to the keyboard manager, to refresh scripts more conveniently. It
rarely works. Sometimes, I need to even restart Jaws, to get everything normal
again.
Is that a bug which can possibly be fixed?
Another suggestion I may possibly propose, is that you may add other languages
support for the J-tools selection facility. That would be greatful.
2; Text notes, shortcuts, and contacts.
I am extremely satisfied by using that section of J-tools.
Text notes, is basicly a facility which gives you the ability, to regularly
produce a constantly used blocks of text. Such as E-Mail signatures, legal
documents, and so on.
I was able to basicly give up using the favorits feature of windows, and I
happily substituted that within J-tools shortcuts facility.
To compose an E-Mail has became now much easier.
I am quite pleased of that.
I use the shortcuts and contacts features, more than text notes.
3; J-Clips and program markers.
This particular section provides a wonderful facilities.
I use the J-clips feature, on a regularl basis.
Especially, at work, where I have much data and clients information to store. I
need to do that, in a conveniently arranged order.
For the sake of the J-tools fascilitation integrity,, I just wish if J-tools
developers may possibly consider extending the J-clips, up to more than 12
specific segments.
That would be much more helpful.
I wish if they can add something I would describe as, J-database.
But, I know, that at Astec, there isn’t an intention at presently, to add any
new features.
I really need something relevant to that here at work.
Well, they are extremely commendable, for providing J-tools at no charge.
I hope you enjoyed reading my message.
Please, you may excuse my roughly imperfect English, or any inaccuracy, in
terms of providing my personal assessment of J-tools.
Have a brilliant day.
Mostafa. Cairo, Egypt.