[jaws-uk] Jaws Speaking Too Much

  • From: "Colin Baxter" <C.R.Baxter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws-Uk@Freelists. Org" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 10:05:41 +0100

Hi all,
Yesterday, someone was complaining that Jaws kept reading the whole screen
every time it changed.  As I was dealing with a mountain of messages and
felt certain that lots of people would already have answered this query, I
just deleted it and moved on.  It seems that almost everyone else has acted
in the same way.

I think that the problem is even simpler than envisaged by the one response
which I read.  To me, it just sounds as if Jaws is set in 'say all' mode.
You can check this very quickly with insert-S and change it immediately by
cycling to 'highlighted'.  To make the change permanent, you want the config
manager, user options, screen echo and then cycle through to 'highlighted'.
Finally, don't forget to save your new setting, and preferably to
default.jcf.

Please shout out if this needs further elaboration.

Colin