[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws, LUNAR and duo cor technology

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 10:24:23 +0100

Let us clear up a few things before they get muddled up as it seems this
thread is beginning to do here.

Dual screen and Dual Core are not the same thing.  The former may relate
to the number of monitor display devices attached to the machine and
Dual Core is the microprocessor technology.  In the former case it may
possibly be difficult for AT products on systems that have dual display
technology because the DCM 1.0 specification which they all adhere to
does not allow for dual monitors and sometimes this causes problems.  It
is known that certain versions of JAWS cause blue screens when they
encounter dual display devices.  Later versions of JAWS don't fall over
but don't really work right either but this problem can be remedied by
disabling the second display device.

The only AT product I know that is not affected by this limitation is
Zoomtext which can run two display heads.  I don't know why this is but
some how they have kludged things so it works this way.

With regard to Dual Core this is a whole other thing and relates to the
processing capabilities.  I don't know for sure but I don't think JAWS
would use multiple processor cores, however it does not encounter any
problems when it meets machines with these capabilities anymore.  It is
merely that it does not take advantage of these capabilities.  Most
office applications do not make use of multiple processor cores
themselves but let the operating system assign tasks and nothing is
particularly intelligent.  More

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England
and Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road