[jaws-uk] Re: Installing JFW on a laptop

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 00:17:33 +0100

Hi Caroline,

I can't find chapter and verse on this at the moment but I seem to remember
that the oldest version of Jaws which will run under XP is 3.7.

Tris or someone else from sight and sound would be best answering this
question.

I am fairly certain that the machine would have XP home or professional
installed.

Remember, too, that Jaws requires a different license for running under XP
pro which would cost considerably more than the standard version required
for windows 98 etc.

If 3.2 will work with XP, though, it may be worth noting that there was a
patch released after 3.2 which may be downloaded from the Freedom Scientific
site from the page:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_downloads/morejaws2.asp

This page has downloads for older versions of Jaws and includes 3.2 itself,
a link to a text page explaining amendments applied by  the patch and, of
course, the 3.2 patch.

If all else fails and cash is an issue, all versions of Jaws will run in 40
minute mode after which a reboot of the machine is required to run it again.

HTH,

Phil Medway.