[jaws-uk] Re: Hello, and question about software development tools

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 11:32:16 -0000

Hi Paul and welcome to the list.

There are a number of programming resources largely based in the US which
may help you to gain an overview of what is possible and where you might
wish to concentrate your attention.

An American based mailing list for visually impaired programmers which
includes a number of very productive members from around the world is at:

A couple of web sites with links to VI friendly programming resources can be
found at:
http://www.nonvisualdevelopment.org/
and
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com

The non-visual development site is run by Jamal Mazroui who has created a
great many open source utilities aimed at the VI community and is blind
himself.

The grab bag site is run by another VI contributor to the programming blind
mailing list.  He is known as Inthane Elf and, no this is not a
mis-spelling.

Inthane includes a number of Jamal's creations as well as anything else he
picks up which might be of use.

The grab bag site also has Jaws scripts for VS2005/2008 which you may find
useful along with development environments editors and documentation on many
programming languages.

Another IDE which you may wish to investigate is Eclipse which, I believe,
was written in Java SWT but it may take some time to master being a general
development IDE although it appears to be primarily Java oriented.
Information on Eclipse including a list of keystrokes can be found on
Inthane's grab bag site.

I hope that you find some of this useful but I'm afraid I can't give you
much background on most of these utilities from a personal point of view.

Regards,

Phil Medway

E-mail: philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tel: 01869 347639