[jaws-uk] Fixing computer after hardrive fail continued.

  • From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 08:24:00 +0100

I am typing this  further to last night. I see a lot about I.SP
providers.
Th
    at is important but the connection may be not always their fault. When
the
Engineer came to replace yet another Hardrive I told him I had not had any
connection on my laptop since Sunday morning. all connections were lost
desktop and laptop and a LAN wireless card called Epic Router is being used
it has a card ending with G on it. After the loss of connection and being
told by Free that the line was Ok, I wondered what cause was. The engineer
was kind enough to look on desktop and he said" I cannot see any Wireless
connection setup on here at all" He tried putting in IP numbers fresh ones
and I think WEP numbers, very long numbers, impossibly long really.
Eventually he asked me " does anyone nearby have a Wireless connection"  he
asked as he picked up 2 LAN, now I am not sure of the significance of this.
However can a  computer with all connection be affected by a neighbour? I
phoned  a neighbour and asked did they have Wyfy, then said yes. When I had
a Speed Modem I did not have the problems I am getting now. Incidentally
regarding Interceptors and driver I know nothing of technical things,
however after the first  drive failure the first Engineer would have used
the latest Graphics drivers interceptors etc, how it was the first Engineer
who replace Home with XP,thereby making it not possible to  register Jaws.
Upgrading to V.7 made no difference, Tony had taken the whole lot away to do
a 're-build' he discovered the XP problem. He wanted to remove XP Proand
puton Home, and the order of Graphics interceptors was that it was not don
in the right order, graphics first. but too late down the line.
Engineer who came day before yesterday would have not started from base as
first one would have. I shall ask John Chamberlain when he comes today this
Tower away to make sure my laptop connects or I will have nothing. I shall
ask
about the Epic router LAN Card. If you are in an office all this will be
taken care of, most of will buy computers all setup, some of you have family
who can set things up for you, and if they do a Start from scratch re-build
and you use JAWS and this relates mainly to Jaws, this is when it matters.
Tiddy, I think you said your son did yours, Christopher Huby, I think you
said your brother set up yours. If any of you are having problems a so
George says it can be due to things. Re ISP Ido not like Freeserve but am
not sure how good others are. I heard PIPEX is good. Also Virgin.  I hope
what I have tried to get across is helpful. Dorothy.     Ps Do Ps does
anyone know what
"piggybacking means?I
 Sorry George says it may be due to connections, I suspect his right. PPS is
my Hardrive now quiet? Answer is NO! However by holding the drive in his
hand out of the Tower and trying this with more than one drive this is how
we
diagnosed the facts. Hardrive is better but in no way quiet.