[jaws-uk] Re: Braile display questions

  • From: <tim.pennick@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:28:24 -0000

Dave,

I'd be interested to know what terminal emulator you're using.  After many
years of using Reflections I now find that the standard Telnet client that
comes with W2K gives me better results.  If you want some sample scripts to
implement cursor routing with this application, let me know.

Back to your question.  Did this work better with JAWS 5.0, or have you only
started using the display since upgrading to 5.10.  If the latter, it may be
worth seeing if the same problems occur if you revert to 5.0.  I've found
several problems with 5.1 and terminal emulation (not to mention performance
and stability), and have reverted to 5.0, although the enhancements in JFW6
specifically for braille sound exciting and I'll be upgrading to version 6
soon.).

I'm still using my trusty Braillex 2D-Screen which still works really well with
JAWS.  My first reaction if braille seems to be losing focus is to press the
key that routes the braille display to the active cursor.  The assignment of
the key obviously depends on what display you're using.

I also find that braille sometimes loses focus if the window isn't big enough,
and maximising the application sometimes makes a difference.

HTH,

Regards,

Tim Pennick