[jaws-uk] BEWARE OF FRAUDULENT E-MAILS

  • From: "Wendy Sharpe" <w.sharpe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Jaws'" <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:59:55 +0100

This message is for anyone who has a Paypal account.

I have recently received several messages purporting to come from Paypal
asking me to update my account.  I was suspicious of them, so I closed the
message and logged onto my Paypal account from within Internet Explorer and
my financial favourites list.  There was no request there to update my
account, so I contacted Paypal asking if they had sent me any messages
asking me to do this.  I have today received a message from them saying they
have not asked me to amend my details.

If you have a Paypal account and receive any messages like this, the first
thing to do is look at the greeting.  Paypal say on their page about
protecting yourself against fraudulent e-mails that they always greet you
with your full name or Paypal business account name.  The messages I
received began with "dear Paypal user", which indicated that they were not
genuine.  When Paypal write to me the messages always say "dear Wendy
Sharpe".

Even if the message asks you to click on a link to go to the Paypal website,
never do this.  Always close the message, open your web browser and log on
in the normal way.

Finally, Paypal would like you to forward any suspicious messages to:

spoof@xxxxxxxxxx

telling them why you are suspicious.  They will then check the messages and
try to find out where they are coming from.

I hope this will keep you all safe.

Wendy