[iyonix-support] Widescreen monitors

  • From: Richard Mellish <RichardMellish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:55:10 +0100

Mike Batten was just asking about a MDF.

I'm also contemplating getting a monitor a bit bigger than my present
19 inch CRT one, but I'm concerned about everything being too small if
I use it at its native resolution, or the possible degradation of
quality if I use it at something similar to the resolution I'm using
at present (about 680 pixels per inch).

An answer to a letter in the latest Computer Shopper points out that
you can change the dpi setting on a Windows PC to keep things at the
right size with different screen resolutions.

Can you do the same thing in RISC OS 5 by altering the relationship
between pixels and OS units? (I have the RISC OS 3 Programmer's
Reference Manual, but that discusses things in terms of the old
numbered screen modes, which isn't much help.)

Apropos Mike's wish for an MDF: when I got my Iyonix I already had the
19 inch CRT monitor which I was quite happy with, so I located a MDF
for a reasonably similar one and edited it by hand. Over the last few
years I've added several new modes, each based on an existing one with
the various numbers changed in reasonable proportions, and they've all
worked without any trouble.

Richard