[iyonix-support] Re: WTD: Fanless Iyonix graphics card

  • From: Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 13:40:48 -0800

Ron wrote:

That's correct, Grahame, The support for (unmodified) FX5200 started with 5.12. A further question might be, for people still using the original MX400, can they upgrade to 5.14 without changing to a FX5200?
One poster has said he is still using 5.03!

Yes. Although the exact path from 5.03 may require a couple of
steps.  One of the advantages of the later (although the 5x00
series is now quite old) is that it didn't require this mod.

Can I urge people running very old versions to upgrade -
current 5.16 confusion notwithstanding, there's really no
good reason to soft-load 5.14 etc.

Looking at my local discount computer place
(http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=VCD) I can see that
even 9x00 series cards are offered in PCI.  The main
problem with supporting these cards is the initialisation
sequence, which is nominally x86 code run by a PC BIOS
at machine boot.  On RISC OS, you either need a limited x86
emulator, or equivalent code to do the job.

---
To alter your preferences or leave the group, visit //www.freelists.org/list/iyonix-support