[iyonix-support] Re: SCSIFS and Hide

  • From: Ron <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:01:54 +1300

In message <4B6683DA.5090105@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> just my input
>
> support for mass storage devices is provided by SCSISoftUSB that
> interacts with the USB drivers to privide an interface to scsidriver and
> scsifs and scsifiler, (additional modules equivalent to scsisoftusb can
> provide alternative drivers to the scsi set of modules.)
>
> there is NOTHING to stop other software writers from interacting at any
> of the published interfaces to provide additional hardware drivers.
>
> SCSISoftUSB supports the majority of usb devices that report they use
> the scsi command set embedded.
>
> I believe that all the devices you have reported use a different
> protocol set, hence it is not a case of simple adding a minor tweak.
>
> As for the tables of USB devices in the rom.. It merely contains lists
> of Vendors and Products known at a particulat time - it does not contain
> explicit info about how to drive them. These tables are exposed within
> ResourceFS.
>
> Hope that is a little clearer
>
> John

Yes it all relevant, though John H and I have moved to talking about
PTP and MTP devices, and John H's planning on a PTP driver.

The Linux MTP library depends on libusb, the usb transport protocol.
Unless DeviceFS and maybe SCSISoftUSB can present the equivalent
of libusb, I guess everything down to the hardware level would
have to be written.

Just out of interest, does the Vendor-Products lists in Rom have
the protocol information as well, or is that probed from the
device?

Ron M.