[iyonix-support] ROM 5.12 website upgrade failure

  • From: Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 14:44:11 +0100

bcc. sales@xxxxxxxxxx

FAO Jack Lillingstone

In article <4e75a6d795lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Williams
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> If only one could actually purchase it!

> Bullet in the foot for Castle, I'm afraid.      :-(

Plural that with an effing machine gun. I know Castle followed in Acorn's
footsteps but I was hoping they didn't intend to emulate their lack of
marketing prowess.  ;-)

I used MIE <spit> and managed to have my Credit Card skanked of 69 quid
by HSBC only to find - after Castle's long, drawn-out and cumbersome
procedure  - that the downloads page gives a 404 (with Firefox too).
What a complete shambles.  :-(

What are you going to do, Castle, to learn better customer service?

Some suggestion from this Customer Panel of one:

1. Announce upgrades to your customers via the established mechanisms at
least at the same time as making boasts in a public forum. Preferably
before. Then we feel valued rather than ignored and there's a slim chance
we may buy more of your products. Understand that not everyone regularly
reads csaa or your website, whether you think we should or not. And
remember: it is easier to sell to existing satisfied customers, than to
find and satisfy new ones. Who is it may buy the 5.12 upgrade?

2. Use a payment system which can be used on RISC OS browsers
PARTICULARLY THE ONE YOU SUPPLY WITH THE MACHINE. Anything else is
useless to many of your existing customers. Do you value us? Is it your
way of saying 'move to windows'? <shudder>
If HSBC can't do it, ditch them entirely: bank accounts too. Only in this
way do big corporates learn about meeting /their/ customers' needs.

3. Test your website to destruction and ensure it bears correct
punctuation and doesn't give stupid responses. Why can't I register the
same ROM PIN twice with the same MAC address with or without colons? Even
I could write a program to do that and least give a correct error
response.

4. Launch such things online when you are certain that for a few days
there will be someone on hand to sort out teething problems. Remember, we
are thicko custards. A Monday 9am launch would have been more sensible
than 10.30 am Friday and then all bugger off to the country for the
weekend.  ;-)

5. You have an automated upgrade mechanism. Use it. Now I have paid, your
upgrade mechanism should automatically do the rest. Otherwise what's the
point of the Iyonix Update Watcher software running itself at every
opportunity?

6. Lose the phone system which lies and says lines are busy when you are
closed, asking me to hold on an 0870 number but /eventually/ allowing me
to leave what became an angry message.

7. Many of us use Froogle so you may want to consider clarifying your
pricing on the graphics card. If it's bundled it should not have apparent
premium pricing. To do so is to treat us custards like the fools we may
be. 70 quid does include free delivery, does it?

In the meantime, how do I get my ROM upgrade now that you have my cash?

Tim Hill,
<URL:http://www.timil.com/>