[iyonix-support] Re: Loud buzz !

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 20:26:45 +0100

In message <ccd2c1be51.Tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Tim <Tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> My Iyo is emitting a loud buzz; it has been happening off and on since ?
> Christmas and is getting worse.
>
> I have taken the case off and the noise seems to be coming not (as I
> expected) fom the hard drive but from the box of gubbins at the top back ie
> where the power lead fits.
>
> I have cheked and the fan is moving; stopping it does not affect the noise.
>
> It is intermittent - leave the Iyo on and it can after a while, run
> silently.
>
> In short I fear something serious may be happening and would welcome any
> guidance

If a loud buzz were directly caused by some electrical fault, I'd
be sure that it would become a catastrophic failure (bang, smoke,
blown fuse, bad smell) within a minute.

It sounds more likely to be a panel buzz, i.e. two of the sheets
of metal have started to bang together, probably excited by the
(small) vibration from the hard drive.

If you haven't interfered with it, the power supply is entirely
safe to touch with fingers from the outside.  It's impossible to
accidentally touch any live connections.  You can safely grope
the thing and see if your fingers damp the noise by pressing
somewhere.

Dave