[iyonix-support] Crackly Sound on My Iyonix

  • From: John Crane <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 20:37:01 +0100

I've started getting a crackly sound on my Iyonix. Imagine the sound
you get when you take off a nylon jumper when it's all charged up with
static. That sort of sound but quite loud.

Basically when I turn it on, fairly soon after the crackling starts
through the speakers (or through the internal speaker if I unplug the
speakers).

The normal little beep has turned into a sort of squeak. Once the
machine's booted the crackles come and go. Sometimes there'll be a
long spell of crackling, sometimes it's just almost like morse code
with an odd little crackle here and there

I did have MPro set to chime for new mails, but since the crackling
started as soon as it's about to chime the machine freezes totally.
Alt-Break produces a 'Press Stop to Terminate Unknown'. Do that and I
get everything back, although I have then had odd filer crashes.

I got 'Filecore in Use' halfway through a print yesterday and today I
got the application has gone wrong and must exit (or similar) today
and the apps icon disappeared off the icon bar.

By rebooting and telling MPro not to chime things seem a bit more
stable, but touching anything to do with sound locks the machine up
(e.g testing the 'voices' in boot) - often totally require a power off
to get working again.

I have gone back to a minmal set up (just keyboard and mouse) and
reseated all cards, cables, memory etc, but the crackles persist

If this were a Windows machine I would disable sound in the bios and
see if a separate sound card made any difference, but obviously I
can't do this here.

RO 5.11 (22-Feb-06) all updates etc applied.

Any ideas ?

--
John Crane, Iyonix RISC OS User