[iyonix-support] Re: Connections for 4 IDE drives

  • From: David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:48:20 +0100

In message <01a262cd4e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2007 Steven Pampling <steve.pampling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 02 Apr, David R Lane <D_Lane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > If you have two hardrives, one CDRW and one DVDRW what is the
> > > best way of connecting them?
> >
> > Connect the two faster devices (HD's) on one IDE line and the two slower
> > devices (DVD and CD) on the other line. A combination of a slow and fast
> > device on any line will result in slower access for the fast device.
> >
> > Connect the newer of the two devices as Master in each case. (Newer
> > controllers on the device tend to be a better bet.)
>
> It doesn't seem to make any discernable difference in the Iyonix.

[snip]

> It wont make any difference which way round a CD and DVD writer are. My
> arrangement has the writer as master and the caddy as slave, as if the disc
> is out of the caddy the system works happily without a slave, but wouldn't
> recognise a slave if a master had been removed.
>
> Cheers
> ---Dave

I have tried the following connections:

        IDE bus 0 (primary)                IDE bus 1 (secondary)
     Master            Slave            Master            Slave

   Main Hard Drive     Second HD         DVDRW            CDRW

Main Hard Drive = the one Nixiyo boots from.

None of these are caddy drives.

Note that the DVDRW and CDRW are the opposite way round on the
secondary bus to what I suggested in my original post as the
installation instructions for the LITEON DVDRW suggest that it
should be master and gives the example of it being on the same
bus as a CD drive.
When I powered up the Second HD icon was absent from the icon bar
and, as I expected, there was no icon for the DVDRW (as it needs
configuring) and the CD drive gave error message 'empty' when I
attempted to mount a CD. I checked the boot configuration tool
which showed 1 CD drive. On rebooting, the icon for the second HD
was present and this drive now works.

May be I have to get the DVDRW going for the CDRW to work,
since the CDRW is slave to the DVDRW?

Ah, I have just discovered something: With a DVD in the DVDRW
drive, the CDRW drive works.

Anyhow, I still need to configure the DVDRW. So how do I do that?
Does it count as another CD drive as far as the boot configure
tool is concerned?

Thanks Steven, Druck and John B. for help so far.

Dave Lane

--
  Dr D.R. Lane                        Address:  11, Coniston Way,
  Tel:   +44-(0)1737 767210                     Reigate,